The International Pipeline Conference is holding its 6th ASME Student Paper Competition at IPC 2012 in Calgary, Alberta. The Competition consists of a special technical session for presentation of up to 8 papers authored by graduate students in engineering or a related science curriculum.
Finalists will receive a cash award of $100 as well as a plaque commemorating their achievement. A certificate and an additional $1000 will be awarded to the lead author of the winning paper.
All paper submissions will be assessed as regular entries to the Conference and as such, successful authors
will be invited to present, however only competition finalists will have their expenses reimbursed. Papers may be on any topic related to pipelines, including but not limited to:
- Rotating Equipment
- Standards & Regulations
- Pipeline Automation & Measurement
- Design & Construction
- Offshore Issues
- Risk & Reliability
- Environmental Issues
- Operations & Maintenance
- GIS / Database Development
- Integrity & Corrosion
- Innovative Projects & Emerging Issues
Guidelines, Procedures and Awards
- Only student authors are eligible. Co-authorship with other students and/or faculty advisers is
permitted, however a lead student author must be identified. Communication will be with the lead student
author. The student authors of each paper must be registered at an accredited college or university, as a
graduate student, or must have written the paper while so registered. Student authors will be requested
to provide verification in this regard.
- A 150-200 word paper abstract must be submitted directly to the conference web site address given
below. Upon acceptance of the abstract, the draft paper must be written. The draft paper will be reviewed
in accordance with ASME peer-review procedures. Student authors are required to submit a completed
ASME 1903 form – “Offer of a Technical Paper” when submitting their paper. Additional information may
be obtained from the conference website at
http://www.internationalpipelineconference.com/conference/overview.php. Comments from the
reviewers will be forwarded to the lead author.
- Papers and abstracts must clearly indicate that they have been submitted for the “IPC 2012 Student Paper Competition.”
- The final paper must be written in accordance with the ASME Publication Guidelines (a copy will be
provided with the review comments and is also available at the ASME website. All reviewer comments
must be resolved. The final paper will be published in the Conference CD.
- A student author, preferably the lead author, must present the paper in the Student Paper Competition
Session at the Conference.
Travel expenses including airfare, conference fees, accommodation
and meals will be reimbursed by the conference within ASME guidelines. Students are encouraged
to arrange travel in advance and to submit a claim for reimbursement to the Technical Committee prior to
undertaking travel. Appropriate accommodation arrangements will be made by the Technical committee.
- The papers will be judged based on written technical content (70%) and on presentation effectiveness
(30%). Competition Judges (selected by the Technical Committee) will select one Outstanding student
- At the discretion of the Technical Committee, additional awards may be presented.
Competition Entry and Deadlines
Lead Authors must submit a 150-200 word abstract of the proposed paper as indicated above to
https://www.asmeconferences.org/IPC2012/Author/NewAbstract.cfm or, if there are difficulties accessing this site to: Dr Alan Murray P Eng firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submission of Abstract, Wednesday, December 14th, 2011
- Author Notification of Abstract Acceptance, Wednesday, December 21, 2011
- Submission of Full-Length Draft Paper for Review, Monday, February 13, 2012*
- Paper Reviews Completed, Monday, April 16, 2012
- Initial Author Notification of Acceptance/Revision Requirements, Monday, April 23, 2012
- Electronic Copyright Form Submission Process Opens, Monday, April 23, 2012
- Submission of Revised Paper for Review (if required), Monday, May 7, 2012
- Author Notification of Acceptance of Revised Paper, Monday, May 14, 2012
- Submission of Copyright Form, Monday, May 25, 2012
- Submission of Final Paper, Monday, May 28, 2012
- Author Registration Deadline, Monday, June 15, 2012
- Present paper at Technical Session Sept 24-28 2012
For more information, e-mail info@InternationalPipelineConference.com